Calling on Senator Booker, Senator Menendez, all New Jersey House Representatives, Governor Murphy, New Jersey Senate President Sweeney and Assembly Speaker Coughlin to meet our demands in response to the attack on the U.S. Capitol on January 6th.
January 9, 2021
On January 6, 2021, rioters attempted an anti-democratic insurrection at the Capitol Building in Washington, D.C., incited by the President of the United States and certain Members of Congress. We, a coalition of New Jersey non-profit and grassroots organizations, call upon you to issue a strong public response to this appalling event.
The President of the United States betrayed his oath to uphold the Constitution. He attempted to disrupt the certification of a free and fair election, encouraged acts of domestic terrorism, and impeded attempts to send in reinforcements, thereby putting our nation’s leaders in danger. He must face the most severe and swift consequences. All those who planned, enabled, or participated in these seditious acts must be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
We respectfully ask you to take immediate action on our following demands:
1. Call for governmental censure of President Trump for his role in inciting the insurrection.
2. Demand the immediate removal of President Trump through the 25th Amendment or impeachment.
3. Publicly condemn the white privilege afforded by law enforcement to January 6 perpetrators, and call out the stark difference in how police prepared for and treated the white supremacist insurrectionists versus peaceful protestors of color.
4. Insist on a thorough joint-agency investigation into the failure to secure the Capitol Building, both in advance and in the midst of the insurrection, through appropriate coordination with federal and municipal law enforcement and the National Guard.
5. Demand that the Department of Justice prosecute all those who incited or were complicit in the insurrection, including President Trump and Members of Congress, to the fullest extent of the law.
New Jerseyans need to hear loud and clear that the events of January 6 are reprehensible, and do not represent the values America stands for. While this was indeed a dark day for our country, American democracy is strong. We look to you as our elected official to use your power and influence to amplify this message. We consider it necessary to uphold your oath to defend us “against all enemies, foreign and domestic” by acting on the above demands.
We collectively thank you for your dedication and your service to our country.
Members write to your representatives and demand continued action against these seditious acts.