Home » Make a call
Category Archives: Make a call
I believe I can make a difference.
Gear up for the next 652 days to the midterm elections.
Print out this worksheet for the steps below:
- Put your representative’s name, local phone, DC phone, address, and email on the worksheet or your phone. Get them here.
- Put your two senators’ names, local phones, DC phones, addresses, and email addresses there too. Get them here.
- Get a pile of postcards (or sheets of 110lb cardstock to make your own) and 34-cent postcard stamps. Snail mail is the new response to full voice mailboxes.
- Decide on your “Top Three” most-important issues. Focusing on just a few issues will prevent overwhelm. Consider choosing at least one issue that doesn’t affect you personally.
- Have a conversation with yourself and/or beloved others about how you want to give time and/or treasure to your Top Three.
- Set aside time each week to be active. 20-60 minutes is a good range. Add this to your calendar. You might consider doing your actions with others for support and community.
I believe in a free, quality education for America’s youth.
Oppose the appointment of Betsy DeVos to Secretary of Education ASAP.
Even if you’ve already called and/or left a message, call again. If you get voicemail, leave a message. (Instructions on the next page.)
Call: Senate HELP Committee Chair, Lamar Alexander (R-TN) 202-224-4944
Call: HELP Committee Ranking Member, Patty Murray (D-WA) 202-224-2621
Call: Your two senators. (lookup)
Script: Hi! I am calling to oppose Betsy DeVos for Secretary of Education. (Really, that’s all you need to say.)
I believe in equal rights for all Americans.
Oppose Attorney General nominee Jeff Sessions
Call: Senate Judiciary Committee Chair, Chuck Grassley (R-IA) 202-224-3744
Call: SJJC Ranking Member, Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) 202-224-3841
Call: Your two senators local office (look up)
Script: Hi! I am calling to oppose Jeff Sessions for Attorney General.
Read the ACLU’s 7-point action plan
Choose what action you will take based on what you read.
I believe in integrity and reject corruption.
Sign the first two petitions on the new White House website. (Incidentally, I’m happy to see the petition page–which Obama started–still on the site.)
- Release tax returns: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/immediately-release-donald-trumps-full-tax-returns-all-information-needed-verify-emoluments-clause-compliance
- Divest: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/divest-or-put-blind-trust-all-presidents-business-and-financial-assets
I believe in creating a healthy environment for future generations.
Since the new potus* and crew don’t believe the climate crisis is real, we must ask our state governors to uphold Obama’s climate goals.
Click this link for an easy call with complete script. (Weekly Resistance rocks!)
I believe in my Constitutional right to free speech.
Call your governor if you live in Michigan, Washington (state), Minnesota, North Dakota, or Iowa. These five states are proposing legislation that criminalizes peaceful protest. (source)
Also call your state representative if you live in the states above.
Share: If you know anyone in the states above, ask them to call.
Script: I am a constituent calling to oppose new legislation that threatens my constitutional right to peacefully protest.
I believe in the value of social welfare.
I believe in affordable, accessible healthcare for all Americans.
Read this thorough, timely action plan to prevent dismantling the ACA.
Choose what action you will take based on what you read.
I believe in the power of my voice.
Get coffee: Ask a few friends to meet up and discuss how you’ll proceed over the next four years. This website offers fantastic step-by-step instructions on how to take meaningful action.
Send an email to friends.
Use this guide: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/group-toolkit
Taken from Jennifer Hoffman’s “What to do this week” email list. To join directly, go HERE!
PLEASE call Senators Corey Booker and Robert Menendez TODAY to request that they oppose the confirmation of Betsy DeVos as Secretary of Education. Not only is she unqualified, but her work in Michigan has been disastrous for public education in that state. Her objective is to decimate public education at the national level. I just left a message on Senator Booker’s voice mail and spoke with a staff member in Senator Menendez’s office. Script and phone numbers here.
DJT’s staff appointments are not vetted by the Senate. However, Congress can use their limited power to force a firing in extreme cases. Although they’re unlikely to oust anyone, your views can empower your elected officials. (more on methodology)
Call: Call Rep. Rodney P. Frelinghuysen’s local office- (973) 984-0711- to oppose two of DJT’s key advisers.
Script: My name is ___ and I’m a constituent from _town_. I am deeply concerned about some of DJT’s advisers. I’m calling today to request that (my congressperson) go on public record as opposing two specific appointments:
- The first is Steve Bannon as Chief Strategist. His connection with the far-right Breitbart fake news site, and well-documented anti-semitic and white supremacist views make him a risk to American freedoms. (fact check)
- The second is Lieutenant General Mike Flynn as national security adviser. In previous roles, his paranoid conspiracy theories and anti-Muslim views have been well-documented by superiors. His poor judgment is dangerous for America. (fact check and fact check)
- Can you tell me if (my congressperson) has already publicly opposed these two appointments? If not, I would like to request that they do so. Thank you.